Alpha Xi Delta’s Partnership with Autism Speaks™
Alpha Xi Delta proudly supports Autism Speaks. The world’s largest autism advocacy organization, Autism Speaks is dedicated to increasing awareness of autism spectrum disorders, to funding research into the causes, prevention and treatments for autism, and to advocating for the needs of individuals with autism and their families.
Alpha Xi Delta college chapters and alumnae associations across the country are committed to raising autism awareness in their communities and fundraising in support of Autism Speaks. In particular, our chapters and associations work to support Autism Speaks’ signature fundraising and awareness event, Walk Now for Autism. With one in 68 children diagnosed with autism and no known cure, Alpha Xi Deltas are committed to improving the lives of children and families affected by autism.
Alpha Xi Delta raises money for Autism Speaks through our own philanthropy events, Karaoke for a Cause and Fiesta Feed.
Did you know?
- Autism spectrum disorders are characterized, in varying degrees, by difficulties in social interaction, verbal and nonverbal communication and repetitive behaviors
- Autism is the fastest-growing serious developmental disability in the U.S.
- According to the Centers for Disease Control, autism affects 1 in 68 children and 1 in 42 boys.
- Autism is estimated to affect more than 3 million individuals in the U.S. and tens of millions worldwide.
- Despite these statistics, autism research remains severely underfunded.
- Autism costs a family $60,000 a year on average.
Click here to learn more about autism.
Karaoke for a Cause is our annual spring philanthropy event. During this event, the campus and community is invited over to our chapter house where they can enjoy unlimited nachos. We sell tickets to attend Karaoke for a Cause and all of our proceeds go toward Autism Speaks. We love our philanthropy and know how to make fundraising fun.
The theme of this years event was “Nacho Average Philanthropy”. Every year there is tremendous support for our events. We thank all of our donors and attendees who helped make this years “Nacho Average Philanthropy” a success.
Dance Marathon at the University of Nebraska, Lincoln is a blast. We team up at Dance Marathon to raise money for Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals. The Children’s Hospital near us is Children’s Hospital & Medical Center in Omaha. Check out our silly moves as we dance all day For the Kids! #FTK